There have been many posts about RootsTech in the last few weeks. Many sharing what they learned while attending the largest genealogy conference of the year. I thought my first post should be about what I learned by not attending RootsTech this year.
To keep it simple, I learned to never miss it again. Of course I can not make any promises that I will never miss it again. But I will do everything in my power to make sure I am there.
I found it difficult to watch all the Facebook status updates about RootsTech. I spent the days messaging friends and commiserating about why we are not there.
This is my list of 10 things I missed by not attending RootsTech:
- I missed seeing my genealogy friends in person.
- I missed spending the one free day at the Family History Library.
- I missed all the fun after parties.
- I missed having dinner at some of my favorite places.
- I missed spending time in the exhibit hall for The In-Depth Genealogist.
- I missed networking with my genealogy colleagues.
- I missed talking genealogy with people who share the same interest.
- I missed checking out all the new small businesses in the exhibit hall.
- I missed hanging out with my friends in person.
- I missed meeting and interviewing Dr. Henry Gates!
The feelings were so strong on missing RootsTech that I booked my room the first night of the conference to make sure I did not miss getting one close to the Salt Palace. 2019 will be the first time I stay at the Hilton just down the block from the Salt Palace.